There are a few things you need to know about me to make this relationship work:
- I’m not after your job. Been there. Done that. I probably held one just like it at one time. That’s what makes me helpful. Plus I’m able to tell you how others just like you approached that problem you’re having and what successes/lessons learned they had.
- I want to help you. Please, let me help you. I derive some perverse pleasure out of diving into other people’s problems, fitting puzzle pieces together and making things that were previously unimaginable happen. Call it a Dr. Phil complex.
- I’m not a glory-seeker. I can provide you many things–credibility of an outside opinion, cover for a difficult initiative, tried and true approaches, arms and legs–but you get to be the hero. I’m happy to be behind the scenes.
- I’m not the “love ‘em and leave ‘em” type. Yes, it is my livelihood, but I wouldn’t stay in business long without a commitment to a long-term relationship and a genuine interest in your business. I’m in it for the long haul.
- Tell me about it. Include me. I am interested in the conversations, the emails, the inter-personal dynamics. All of this context helps me give you the best advice and product. You’re paying for results. I’ll manage my time to get us there.
In return, I promise to listen to your issues before jumping to an answer; give you my honest recommendations, and even if you don’t take my advice, work toward a solution that’s workable. I will remain objective and help you play through potential outcomes and scenarios, free of an agenda.
If we both abide by these guidelines, I guarantee a long and healthy relationship.