Whether or not you believe Star Wars: The Last Jedi lives up to all the anticipation and hype, one thing is for sure. The latest episode in the Star Wars saga contains no shortage of leadership lessons.
Despite plenty of examples of bad behavior such as belittling bosses, mansplaining hot shots and backstabbing partnerships, the story brims with leadership wisdom each of us can apply to our work and careers.
Greatest Leadership Quotes and Insights from Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Yoda: “The greatest teacher, failure is.” We learn more from our mistakes, than from our perfectly executed plans.
- Rey: “I need someone to show me my place in all of this.” Raw talent will only get you so far. Seek advice from mentors. Listen and learn.
- Luke: “This is not going to go the way you think.” Put your ego aside and always be prepared for the unexpected.
- Supreme Leader Snoke: “You are no Vader. You are just a child in a mask.” Words matter. Nothing good comes from ridiculing your staff.
- Rose: “This is how we win. Not by fighting what we hate, but by saving what we love.” Focus less on beating the enemy and resisting inevitable change. Instead, build on the assets and attributes that make you more resilient and nimble than the competition.
- Yoda: “We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.” As mentors, it is difficult to watch our proteges move on. We must let go of who we want them to be, and allow them create their own path.
What leadership insights did you take away from Star Wars: The Last Jedi?