I’m in crunch mode right now … that dreaded time that inevitably comes on every project where you have to stay heads’ down, nose-to-the-grindstone to make everything work!
So, without further ado because I don’t have much time …
You know you’re spending waaaaaaaay too much time at work when:
- Your 13 year old sings the background tunes to the conference call music he hears on speakerphone 8+ hours a day
- The dark circles you’re sporting under your eyes these days look like they’re becoming permanent.
- You spend more time with your work partner than you do your own life partner or kids
- A 10:30 p.m. conference call sounds like a perfectly reasonable request
- You have no groceries in the house, the kids are eating pizza for the 3rd night in a row, but when you run out of coffee it suddenly requires an emergency trip to the grocery store
- Dreaming about stakeholders and deliverables is an every night occurrence
- Your kids and significant other know the best way to reach you is via your work email
- You find yourself powering up the laptop with coffee in hand at 7 a.m. … on Saturday morning
- The dentist refuses to let you schedule any more appointments because you’ve cancelled the last three due to work commitments
- You’re at a major league sporting event, supposedly enjoying the game, but are instead coming up with “reasons that you know you spend too much time working” blogs
I know I’m missing some good ones that you’ve experienced – comment to let me know how YOU know you’re in crunch mode!!!
Sheri Browning is a Partner at PeopleResults. She will not be lifting her head up for approximately the next 2.5 weeks. After that, you can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @sbPResults.